Community Futures East Kootenay is dedicated to fostering strong, vibrant local economies and to support this, we are hosting a two-day forum on the sharing economy.
We want to explore ideas of how to harness the power of the sharing economy, use it as an economic driver for our communities, and challenge the delegates by examining emerging issues the sharing economy presents while reviewing exciting case studies. The conference is designed for stakeholders and participants to connect across organizations and collaborate.
Community Futures East Kootenay - Community Economic Development Forum
The Sharing Economy: Innovation & Collaboration
- September 25 & September 26th 2018
- Tuesday 9/25 12:30 - 4:30 Social at 5:30
- Wednesday 9/26 8:30 - 12:00
- Prestige Rocky Mountain Resort
- 209 Van Horne St S, Cranbrook, BC V1C 6R9 (250) 417-0444
Out of town participants can book your stay under "Community Futures East Kootenay Forum"
Tuesday September 25th
- 12:30-1:00 Registration & Light Lunch
- 1:00-1:15 Opening Remarks Sean Campbell, CFEK
- 1:15-1:45 "The Sharing Economy, Local Governments on the Front Line"
Ange Qualizza, M.Econ, City Councillor Fernie
Patrick Sorfleet, Planning Manager, City of Fernie
- 1:45-2:00 Bio Break
- 2:00-4:00 “Exploring Shared Spaces as Economic Drivers, A Panel Discussion” Facilitated by Ange Qualizza
"How Coworking Is Shaping the Future of Work"
Melissa Hope, Director of Operations HiVE | Secretary Coworking BC Society
"How the Sharing Economy Makes us Trust Complete Strangers"
Brad Pommen, Lab Director MIDAS Fab Lab
"Shifting Economic Development from Projects to Places"
Sean Campbell, General Manager Community Futures East Kootenay
- 3:45-4:00 Bio Break
- 4:00-4:30 Reinventing Economic Development & Achieving Nimbility
Mark Lautman, CEcD Founder Community Economic Lab
- 4:30-4:40 Day one closing remarks + Invitation to Ground Floor Coworking Space
Wednesday September 26th
- 7:45-8:30 Breakfast
- 8:30-10:00 "Ridesharing on the Move"
Karen Gorecki and Meredith Hamstead, Climate Basin Trust Climate Action Program
- 10:00-10:15 Bio Break
- 10:15-10:45 "Community Investment Co-ops: Mobilizing Local Capital Initiative"
Eden Yesh, Branch Manager Kootenay Employment Services
- 10:50-11:20 "The Ktunaxa Nation: Peer-to-Peer Economy and Our Path to Economic Well Being"
Tanis Shedden, Economic Development & Investment Sector, Ktunaxa Nation Council
- 11:20-12:00 "Strategic Doing: Leaving Today with an Action Plan"
Ange Qualizza, Program Facilitator
- 12:00-12:10 Closing Remarks
Sean Campbell, General Manager CFEK
Grab a box lunch to enjoy on your way home.
CED FORUM SOCIAL & POP-UP TRADE SHOW
Tuesday September 25th 5:30 PM
Ground Floor Coworking Space 100-131 7th Ave. South Cranbrook BC V1C2J3
Please join us at the Ground Floor Coworking Space for a tapas style dinner with bar service, a pop up trade show and an elegant evening of collaboration and experiential learning.
Catered by the Heidout and hosted by the Ground Floor Coworking Space you’ll have an opportunity to tour Cranbrook’s newest coworking space; and connect with other forum participants in an inspiring social setting. We’ll hear from: accelerate Kootenays Canada's first community-driven, collaborative strategy to build a clean transportation network.
Imagine Kootenay a joint-initiative of local governments, economic development organizations and Chambers of Commerce with the aim of attracting and supporting investment and workforce development throughout the Kootenay and Boundary region.
MIDAS FAB LAB Lab Director Brad Pommen will showcase a mobile fablab.
- 5:30-5:40 Ground Floor Coworking Space welcome
Tanya Malcolm, Community & Marketing Manager
- 6:25-6:35 MIDAS Fab Lab booth introduction
Brad Pommen, Lab Director
- 6:50-6:55 Imagine Kootenay presentation
Jessica Fairhart, Project Manager
- 7:25-7:30 Thank you, options to continue networking
Ange Qualizza, Program Facilitator